Managing language barriers throughout a transaction and post-merger integration

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Ceri Barton.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ceri Barton

For those who have experience of cross-border mergers, what approach, tools and resources were most valuable in creating clear communication throughout the deal process and PMI?

The cross boarder deals could be very challenging, where I’ve dealt with few within the Asia region. Rather than the language, I would strongly say understanding their culture is most important. Many M&A transactions failed due to cultural misunderstanding. As for the language and communication we did try few tools but it didn’t work well, the best was to engage a professional interpreter at the beginning till we had access to the target team as there might be English speaking individuals but just not at the higher management level.

Sean Casault

I don’t have any experience with cross-border or cross-cultural M&A transactions. However, I would expect that a blended use of both professional translators and technology in addition to agreement on a common “shared” language during the transaction and integration process, particularly for key issues/challenges, would be the best approach.

Understanding the culture differences and using silence and listening techniques are key factors. Definitely have your own translator and understand the difference between translation and interpretation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs